Saturday, November 6, 2010

More Potty Adventures

Most of you know I have been trying to potty train Sam since before Caius was born.  She was mildly responsive until after his birth, when she was completely resistant.  Now that she's back to showing some interest, I really feel like we are starting to make some progress.  Only one accident yesterday.  I was so proud.  I think I have been approaching this whole thing the wrong way for her.  She's very independent, but I think she might be very private about this as well.  She still needs help, but the most successful attempts on the potty have been the ones when I find her in the bathroom trying to do it herself.  I help her a bit, then leave her alone.

Yesterday, I was feeding Caius in the living room.  Sam ran off down the hall and was very quiet for .... well ... too long.  So I started off down the hall saying as I went, "Samantha Davis, exactly what are you doing?"  By the time I finished the statement I had reached the bathroom.  I found her sitting on the potty with a book in hand.  She looked at me and said, "I'm peepin on the potty, obbiuss-wee (obviously)!"

Most days I try to make a big deal about these kinds of successes with her.  I get so excited about them.  But I just told her that was really good and let her finish.  We mentioned it to dad when he got home and left it at that.  (Honestly, I probably still would have made a big deal about it if she hadn't been so sick.  Our attention was slightly diverted)  And I think maybe she prefers it that way. 

So I learned more about Sam using the potty yesterday than she did, and we possibly came further in one day than we have in months.  Today, I'm going to learn how to not freak out about this fever that is plaguing her.  God, let her survive all the things I have yet to learn.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!!! That is the cutest...topped it off with the most adorable photo!! YOU have me smiling today!!!

    ReplyDelete