Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Garbie Crisis

My daughter is playing in the living room with her dolls. She calls them "Garbie" dolls. It was something she started over a year ago and it has just been too cute to correct. She can hate me for it later. I digress.

She is calmly playing with her dolls as I research recipes for this mango she insisted I buy and now refuses to eat. All of the sudden she screams. I know, I know. SURPRISE! So I walk over to her and ask her to use her words to tell me the problem.

Sam: Garbie has to be a princess!

Me: I think she is a beautiful princess.

Sam: Garbie doesn't want to be a princess!

Me: Do you want Garbie to be a princess?

Sam: NO! NO! NO!

Me: Calm down sweetie. What would you like Garbie to be?

Sam: She wants to be Dr. Garbie in the betinary (veterinary) hospital.

Me: What a wonderful idea! I think Garbie will be a great doctor!

Sam: She can't! She can't! SHE CAN'T!

Me: Of course she can, honey. She can be anything you want her to be. Garbie's adventures come from your imagination.

Sam: She can't! She can't! SHE CAN'T!

Me: Samantha, we are girls. Garbie is a girl. A girl can do anything she sets her mind to, no matter what obstacles she faces. It is important for you to empower Garbie to follow her dreams.

Sam: She can't! She can't! SHE CAN'T!

Sam starts to cry. I wrap my arms around her and hold her in my lap on the couch.

Me: Why can't Garbie be a doctor?

Sam: Because all the stuffed animals are locked in the bedroom with sleeping Caius!

**Me, complicate simple situations? NEVAH!**

1 comment:

  1. This is so freaking hilarious. Lets be honest here, your daughter's flair for the dramatic and intelligence makes it hard to understand what the problem is sometime. This time it just led to a really epic conversation.

    ReplyDelete